Friday, September 14, 2007

The Heart of a Child

Why can't adults be more like kids when it comes to forgiveness. Yesterday my son pushed our neighbor's son off the edge of our trampoline. I felt horrible. Did he do it on purpose or was it an accident? My heart hopes the latter. Then this morning at the bus stop he leveled him again! This time he was goofing off and accidentally tripped and landed on top of him. (he still has his awkward moments)When I asked him to apologize he buried his head in my hip. I got slightly irritated that he would not just say "hey didn't mean to run you over and I am sorry if I hurt you". The neighbor boy's mom, who happens to be one of my best friends, with her tender heart suggested I just let it go and that Matt was embarassed, he had afterall hurt his best friend twice in two days. The beauty of the whole incident was when Matt, my son, got on the bus he yelled with anticipation for our neihbor's son to sit with him. Without hesitation this little boy who had been toppled by my son, ran over to Matt and plopped himself in the same seat! His parents and I chuckled but it really made me wonder. Why as adults is it sometimes so hard to let go of pain and anger. Life experiences sure contribute as does wisdom but isn't just letting go easier? Granted, the issues we face as adults are more dramatic than getting pushed off a trampoline but the option to forgive, forget and release are there no matter what the cause. Anger hurts the person harboring the feelings just as much as anyone else and we know that, yet we continue to let that emotion sneak through. Not to say anger isn't healthy in certain situations and in small doses but we need to be more like my neighbor's son and just let it go.

1 comment:

Cat eyez said...

How true is your blog. Isn't there a passage stating to come to the Lord with a heart like that of a child? Open mindedness and open hearted is the most hardest thing I think adults face. There would be a lot less hostility in the world if we would just let go and let God as they say. That is awsome that Matt has a heart of gold. He has great role models.